Why Pancakes Remain a Timeless Delicacy
Pancakes are also known as flapjacks or hotcakes and they are thin flat cakes made from starch-based batter. They are coked on hot surfaces such as pans or griddles. In some areas, they are made using raising agents to make them fluffy. A pancake can be eaten at any time of the day but is mostly consumed in the morning as a part of a healthy breakfast. In most places, they are served together with either fillings or toppings, such as fruits, syrups, jam, meat, or chocolate chips. Flapjacks have a long history as they are considered some of the earliest cereal foods to be consumed in prehistoric societies. The shape and the size of a pancake vary with countries and regions.
In today’s modern world, nothing shouts a ‘good morning’ better than the good old pancakes served with toppings of choice.
Basic Pancake Recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons raising agent preferably baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, or melted unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Assorted toppings e.g. maple syrup, honey, jam, chocolate syrup, confectioner’s sugar, butter etc.
1. Preheat the oven to about 200 degrees and place a baking sheet or a heatproof platter inside to place the pancakes and keep them warm. Whisk the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in a small bowl and set it aside.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk the butter, egg, and milk together. Mix the dry ingredients with the milk mixture until the mixture is just moistened.
3. Heat a large non-stick or cast iron pan or griddle over a medium fire. Moisten the pan with oil using a paper towel.
4. Put 2 to 3 tablespoons (depending on your preferred size) of batter onto the pan and spread the mixture into a round shape using the back of the spoon.
5. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes until the top side has bubbles with some of them bursting. Flip the pancake using a spatula, then leave to cook till browned. Place the cooked pancake on the platter in the oven to keep it warm. Continue with this until the batter is finished. Serve the pancakes while warm together with the preferred topping.
Benefits of Pancakes
Pancakes are the alternative cereal meals and they are a great experience, especially when making them with the whole family. The good thing about them is the fact that they can be enjoyed with a range of toppings or fillings. The ingredients can also be altered to make the end product better and tastier. There are fruit recipes that are popular for their great sweet taste and ease of cooking.
When you have ample time and you want an activity that will involve everyone on a Saturday morning, then making pancakes will be the best thing to do. There are no complicated or expensive ingredients involved in making them and thus they also provide a cheap breakfast meal that can be enjoyed by everyone in the family.
About the author:
This article is written by Laura Donnovan. Laura is a freelance writer with more than 4 years experience and she is interested in writing on topics like travelling, lifestyle and cooking recipes. For even more useful tips from her or if you want to find out what is Laura’s favourite recipe for pancakes from Femina (or as Laura says in Danish Pandekager Femina) check out this web page.